Friday, September 26, 2008

Take Off Those Crabby Pants



The past two days have been attack of the crabby pants at my school. The kids have all been teasing each other and acting squirrely in class. I have had to beg, plead and coddle the "niceness" out of them, and I must say it was exhausting. I think I had five criers in the past two days in my first grade classes. One of the criers was also a fighter, and spent the entire lesson smacking the girls next to him and avoiding eye contact with me when I scolded him. Finally I had to take a chair and put it facing the door and make him sit in it. All was well until I turned my back and he disappeared. I found him a minute later army crawling under the tables to get to the back of the classroom. Sigh. Little stinker. The funny thing is he is one of my favorites. He is so darn cute. (See picture.)




In other news, this student from my fifth grade class at Boyai has invited Reagan and me to come to her house to visit. I gave her my phone number so that her mother could call me to set up the visit, and before I knew it the kids had all passed it around and copied it down. For the past two days my phone has rung nonstop. I do not use my cell phone at all unless it is to call Adrienne or to receive a call from Brian, so I just shut the darn thing off. It is a major annoyance. I don't even know how to set up my voicemail because all of the instructions are in Hungarian. I wish I had never even got the dumb thing. And now all of the elementary school children are going to be calling..... great!


So.... tomorrow morning Reagan and I are setting out for our first venture outside of the Hungarian borders. We are taking the train to Kosice, which is a city in Slovakia. Lo and behold, the language is once again different, so I have spent the past hour looking up necessary phrases in Slovak so that we can communicate once we get there. And by necessary phrases I mean: hello, goodbye, bathroom and ice cream!


This should be interesting. Don't worry, I have sent my itinerary to Brian in case we disappear. However, I think all will be well, and I am taking a camera with a newly charged battery to document our fun. All we will be carrying with us is a small backpack with toothbrushes, change of underwear and a shirt, money, passports and a notebook. If all goes well you will be hearing about it on here Sunday night. Until then.... Dovidenia! (Slovak for "goodbye")

No comments: