Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Day Five... Gelato Addiction




Is it possible to be addicted to gelato? I guess so. Reagan certainly appears to be. There are far too many tempting treats on the streets of Budapest. Gelato, pastries, kave (coffee), bread and pizza. Not just any pizza. The BEST pizza. Thin, gooey, dripping with cheese and sauce, capers and vegetables. Delicious. The food here so far has been amazing. I am slowly learning my way around the different food names. Most of the people in the restaurants speak enough English to help you order, and they are happy to practice your Hungarian with you. Sometimes they stare at me blankly when I speak, but I am sure it is the fact that I am butchering the pronunciation, and not their English abilities.

Today we had another long day of lessons. We learned more skills for the classroom and more Hungarian words. I love it. I am certainly a slow learner, but it has only been a few days and I think once I am thrust into the environment with no choice but to speak it, it will come far easier.

Tonight Reagan and I went out to dinner with Christie, one of the other teachers. She is going to be teaching in a town near ours, so I am sure we will be frequent visitors to each other's homes. We went to a little tourist area a few bus stops up from our hostel and ate dinner at a Hungarian restaurant called Fatal. We ordered bean goulash, beef goulash and a fantastic citrus chicken that was served on top of a salad. After our dinner we wandered around looking in shop windows and talking to random people on the street.

I have a ton of pictures to share, so I can't wait to be able to load those onto the computer. Most of the pictures we took tonight were just silly. I did get my picture taken with some random street urchin who begged to be photographed with me. Ummmm.... okay? I look like I am in a headlock with him in the picture, desperately trying to escape. Funny. Not much else to report. Today was pretty chill. I will leave you with a few vocab words.

Sajt (shite) is cheese.
Vonat (voe not) is train.
Pohar (poe haar) is glass.
Visz (veez) is water.

Szerelem,

Laura

No comments: