Saturday, August 2, 2008

Less than 3 weeks to go...

The clock is ticking now. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed by how much I still need to do before Reagan and I board the plane to Europe. Our visas finally arrived in the mail yesterday, so that was a massive relief. We fly out of Chicago on the 21st of August, and land in Budapest on the 22nd. We will be set up there at a hostel with a couple dozen other teachers/reps that are in our program for a week of orientation. We will receive information on the country, safety, communication, resources, etc. During the breaks we will be taken out sightseeing in Budapest and will experience the food and culture. Then after the week of orientation, all of our school's vans will come to pick us up and take us to our new homes.

I am really psyched to meet the other American teacher who will be in our town. I have already been emailing with one of the Hungarian teachers. She has a daughter Reagan's age, so it will be a nice, easy transition for Regs to have a built in playmate. School starts in September, so everything will move along quickly.

The word is that we have a nice spacious two bedroom apartment with a washer and a dryer, which is far more than I was expecting. I was told the school is about a mile and a half from our apartment, which is a nice walk every day. There is no transportation in town. I will not be driving at all for the next year. Things will be so different, but that is exactly what I am looking for.

One of the really good pieces of news is that I will be able to continue my MBA program while I am over there, and will be graduated by the time I come back. I just received a letter in the mail saying I was awarded another scholarship. That makes four scholarships now for this coming semester! I am really happy that my schooling will be paid in full for me this year. My loans are through the roof!

Well, that's it for now. More to come...

No comments: